Thursday, August 28, 2014

A Typical Day

A few people have asked me, "What does a typical day look like for you in Niger?"  And now that I have been here for four weeks (Monday marks ONE MONTH!), I feel that I have a bit more routine and am able to answer that question.

During the school week, I wake up before the sun, around 6:00 a.m.  Getting ready for the day doesn't seem to take too long here, and I'm not sure why.  (I need about 40 minutes to get ready in the States, but can be dressed and ready in about 20 minutes here.  Ha!).  Breakfast consists of cereal, oatmeal, or fruit.  (It's actually hard to find cereal without chocolate here, so my mornings are a bit sweet!).  I'm hoping to re-tackle yogurt-making too.  (The last time didn't turn out so well...good times.).  Anyways, I spend the rest of my morning reading, journaling and praying on the porch swing before school starts at 7:30 a.m.

At Sahel Academy, the elementary students have recess for 20 minutes twice each day!  They also have P.E. twice a week and French class thrice (with my roommate, Miss Gillner!).  They end Fridays with Art class!  I think the second graders' favorite subject right now is Science, as we are learning about the weather!  We are also reading "Flat Stanley," which they LOVE.  When we finish the book, I am hoping to make a Flat Stanley and see if I can send him back to the States!  The school day is over by 2:30 p.m.

After school, I typically stay for a meeting of some sort or plan for the next day/week/(year!).  There is a trail on the compound that goes around campus, so I enjoy running in the evenings when I have time.  (But watch out for the ginormous tortoise!  I just about ate it trying to dodge Rover).  The other day, I ran with a friend and then threw around the softball with some of the dorm kids.  (Softball is THE SPORT here in Niger.  So thank you to my brothers, who taught me how to throw and catch :)  Unfortunately, I'm not that great at hitting, and I think I popped my shoulder out while swinging for a ball.  It's sore, but on the mend.).

At home, we now have a house-help.  She comes twice a week to help clean and cook!  What a blessing!  So far she has made us delicious pasta with meatballs and sauce, and a cheesy potato/meat casserole (I'm sure there are names for these dishes, but I have no idea what they are.  All I know is they taste good!).  For those of you who might not know, I have attempted cooking here and have found it to be rather challenging.  Nothing is easy and just about everything is from scratch.  (But I think I'm starting to get the hang of it - the other day, I made my own sauce to go on noodles!)  After dinner, I usually lesson plan, Skype, email, read, or whatever else life calls for.  I like to end my day, once again, on the porch swing with the Lord.  It's good to reflect on His mercies throughout the day.  I count my blessings and then I go to bed around 10:30 p.m.

And so goes life in Niger.  It's been a good month already.  Many ups and downs, but God's hand has been in it all.  And I'm finding it easier to keep my hand open to both the blessings and the struggles.  God has been SO GOOD to me.

Thank you so much for praying as I transition!  Please continue to pray, especially since there are a few things in which I am considering getting involved.  I need the Lord's wisdom to discern what and how much I can handle.  I would love to lead a Bible Study for High School girls, visit an orphanage once a week, and take French classes after school...!  My transition to life in Niger continues as I seek out His Will and find fellowship with the Body of Believers.

Grace and Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment